The Utah Open Source Movement

Being fairly new to the Beehive State, I was pleased to see so many people here are involved in open source. The newest face of this movement is the Utah Open Source Planet. The Planet is an aggregation of blogs from people who support open source. In fact, my blog is one of the many that are posted there.

The Planet is a great way to share ideas and meet other people with similar interests. Many posters have included a "hackergotchi" head-shot and GPS coordinates, which makes it easier to associate the online persona with a real person. I am starting to feel part of this thriving community, and I look forward to opportunities to meet these people in the real world.

While I am talking about it, I want to ask a question that may help me understand the local community better. At the last OALUG meeting, we were talking about the most popular distro of each Utah LUG. Here the best we came up with:

OALUG = Ubuntu
FSLC = Debian
PLUG = Gentoo
SLLUG = ???
UVLUG = ???

Did I miss any LUGS, and does this look accurate? Do SLLUG and UVLUG have favorites, or is it evenly divided?

This question is focused on getting to know more about the people, rather than a debate about the distros. I believe that all open source software should be commended. Competition and choice is what makes us stronger.

Comments

  1. At UVLUG I see a lot of Fedora Core and Suse users. Personally, I tend to use Fedora Core, CentOS and Ubuntu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Utah :)

    UUG (BYU's Unix Users Group http://uug.byu.edu/) has a poll up regarding this. Looks like the winner is either Fedora or Ubuntu. For our installfest this past year, we decided to switch from Fedora to Ubuntu as our default distro, partly because it's an easier install, and partly because it meant we didn't have to burn as many cds. :)

    ~TuxGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for Plug, I would definitely say that Gentoo is *not* the most popular. They are an active segment, but in what the general population use, the Fedora and Debian users both outnumber them by quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using the Cisco console in Linux

What it takes to make Ubuntu ready for use

Five ways to use Windows apps in Linux